Building Department Online Permit Applications: http://www.gistrend.com/dobbsferry
Tax Parcel Viewer: http://giswww.westchestergov.com/taxmaps/default.aspx?sMun=DobbsFerry
HOURS: Monday – Thursday 8:30a.m. – 4:00p.m. and Friday 8:30a.m. – 12:00p.m.
BUILDING DEPARTMENT SERVICES:
- Process applications and issue permits for Building, Plumbing, Electric, Signs, Tree Removal, On Street Dumpster, Demolition and Erosion Control
- Accept submittals for Boards, including; Planning, Zoning and Architectural & Historic Review
- Perform inspections for construction compliance and fire safety
- Investigate complaints pertaining to construction, zoning and property maintenance. When warranted, issue violations.
- Maintains Department records
All permit applications are now filed online at gistrend.com/dobbsferry
*Only persons holding a Westchester County Masters license may apply for a plumbing or electrical permit. Homeowners, contractors, architects and engineers may apply for all other types of permits.
- File permit application online at gistrend.com/dobbsferry , print a copy, sign it and bring it to the Building Department with the application fee.
- Building Department will determine if any Board approvals are needed.
- Pick up specific packet for PB, ZB, AHRB, Sign or Tree. Those will inform you of the process for noticing and all plan and other requirements. If starting at Planning or Zoning you will have to complete all necessary Board approvals before permit is issued.
- You may be sent or request to be sent to the Technical Advisory Committee, where a member of each Board will review your project and give comments to help you through the process. Meant for larger or difficult projects.
- Smaller projects will move on to the permit fee.
- To receive a permit (after needed approvals); pay permit fee, provide contractor license, worker’s comp insurance and liability insurance. Any required drawings or number of sets of plans.
- Call for all necessary inspections throughout the project, a list will be issued.
- After final inspection is completed, fill out “Statement of Final Costs” and “Construction Compliance” forms, so that Certificate of Occupancy fee can be determined. Projects which change foundation footprint or lot coverage will require an “As Built Survey”.
- Remember many projects can be unique and require very specific guidelines, stay in touch with the Building Department to insure a smooth process.
WORK REQUIRING A BUILDING PERMIT:
- Any new structure; building, house, shed, pool, deck
- Any addition to an existing structure
- Any exterior work to any structure; replacement of: door, window, siding, roof (except if replacing exactly in kind and no part of the structure is changed)
- Any interior work which removes or adds walls
- Replacement of a kitchen or bath
- Any change of use; new store, any basement, attic, garage, porch, storage or other space changed to living space
- Any sign (except a real-estate sign 4 sq. ft. or less )
- Any fence
- Any retaining wall over 30”
WORK REQUIRING A PLUMBING PERMIT:
- Addition or replacement of any plumbing fixture
- Any change in plumbing waste, vent or water pipe
- Any addition or change of gas pipe including hook up of a gas fixture
- Repair of a gas leak
- Boiler or furnace, new or replacement
- Water heater, new or replacement
- Sewer; new, replacement or repair
- Water main; new, replacement or repair
- Fire sprinklers
- Lawn sprinklers; tie-in to potable water
- Any connection of potable water for any use
WORK REQUIRING A MECHANICAL PERMIT:
- New or replacement of any mechanical equipment ie: condenser, air handler, furnace, heat pump, duct work
- New or replacement of any generator
- New or replacement of any sprinkler system or partial
- New or replacement of any solar panels
- New or replacement, or removal of any tanks, oil or LP gas
WORK REQUIRING AN ELECTRIC PERMIT:
- Any new or replacement of wire, outlets and fixtures
PROJECTS NEEDING PLANNING BOARD APPROVAL:
- Any new structure or use of land
- Any movement of 300 cubic feet of soil or more
- Any disturbance to 2000 square feet of land or more
PROJECTS NEEDING ZONING BOARD APPROVAL:
- Any new structure or addition which does not comply with zone setbacks, height, lot coverage or area
- Any use which does not comply with zone
PROJECTS NEEDING ARCHITECTURAL & HISTORIC REVIEW BOARD APPROVAL:
- Any new structure; building, house, shed, deck, fence
- Any addition to an existing structure
- Any change to exterior appearance
- Any sign
- Category: Building Department
- Published on 14 April 2012